Tech Policy Communication Trends and Preferences This Year
As the premier tech policy communications agency in Washington, D.C. and Chicago, the Glen Echo Group keeps a finger on the pulse of the industry landscape.
But you don’t just have to take us at our word — we went out to do the legwork. In cooperation with Morning Consult, we conducted a survey of policy influencers in D.C., as well as Tech industry stakeholders across the U.S.
We surveyed important tech stakeholders on what to expect in 2023, especially what issues are of highest priority, but also how people currently receive and retain policy related information.
Read on for insights and facts on what influential tech professionals are thinking about social media, in-person vs. hybrid events and preferred media channels.
Main Tech Policy Themes and Insights
- Data Privacy and Security is the top issue driving interest in events for 2023
- Events addressing data privacy and security are of most interest to DC Elites and Tech Stakeholders alike
- DC Elites are about twice as likely to be interested in attending events addressing data privacy and security than other leading tech issues
- DC Elites and Tech Stakeholders prefer industry events in the next 12 months to include an in-person option
- Nearly two-thirds of DC Elites are more likely to attend tech events in the next 12 months that include an in-person option
- Interest in the topic has more impact on whether DC Elites will attend an event than logistical factors like metro accessibility and time of day
- Interest in the topic is the largest motivating factor to compel both DC Elites and Tech Stakeholders to attend an industry event; however, unlike DC Elites, the Tech Stakeholders are also highly motivated by networking opportunities and industry thought leaders
- Social media is the most frequent way that respondents receive information about the tech industry
- Tech stakeholders are most likely to have used social media or webinars/online events to get information about the tech industry in the last year.
- In the next 12 months, DC Elites are more likely than last year to turn to news outlets and in-person events for tech industry updates